British boxer Billy Joe Saunders took aim at the family of Chris Eubank Jr. with a furious rant on social media after his rival poked fun at the world champion fighter for missing out on a lucrative showdown with Canelo Alvarez.
The 29-0 Saunders had been linked with a high-profile fight with Canelo in September but announced on social media that he was withdrawing himself from consideration for the fight due to the problems associated with arranging a training camp in the midst of the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.
Eubank Jr., who was beaten by Saunders by split decision in late 2014, suggested that there were ulterior motives behind Saunders’ decision to withdraw.
“Billy Bottle Job Saunders won’t fight Canelo in two months??… I’m ready to go in 2 days!!! So a fight in September!? NO PROBLEM,” Eubank Jr. wrote on social media.
Eddie Hearn already told everyone why my fight with GGG didn’t happen. Two months isn’t enough time for the drugs Billy Joe Saunders uses to get in shape, to leave his system, so he pulled out of the Canel
By Charles Brun: Chris Eubank Jr has his theory for why Billy Joe Saunders backed out of the September 12 fight against Canelo Alvarez. On social media today, Eubank Jr said he thinks that Saunders (29-0, 14 KOs) needs more time for the drugs to clear from his body before facing Canelo. Eubank Jr states that Saunders uses drugs to get in shape.
WBO super middleweight champion Saunders recently pulled his name from consideration by Golden Boy for Canelo’s next fight. Saunders’ reason for pulling out is there wouldn’t be enough time for him to train with the two months that he’d have before September 12.
It would have been ten weeks of training for Saunders had he not pulled out. For many fighters, eight to ten weeks is a typical training camp before a fight. The fans don’t understand why Saunders would need additional time beyond ten weeks, given that he doesn’t look overweight.
Ten weeks not enough time
In ten weeks, Saunders would likely take off all the weight he needed to make the 168-lb limit for the Canelo fight.
Eddie Hearn already told everyone why my fight with GGG didn’t happen. Two months isn’t enough time
By Sean Jones: Chris Eubank Jr is ready to go in there and obliterate Canelo Alvarez if he decides to choose him for his next fight on September 12. Eubank Jr (29-2, 22 KOs) threw his name in the hat for the Canelo sweepstakes this week in letting the world know that he wants to be under consideration by Golden Boy for that fight.
WBA ‘regular’ super middleweight champion Canelo (53-1-2, 36 KOs) needs an opponent for his next fight on DAZN for September, and he’s running out of time. It’s already July, and Canelo’s promoters at Golden Boy still don’t have a fighter signed.
The 30-year-old Eubank Jr is known for having a high punch volume, and he’s not going to back away from his opponents. He’s going to force Canelo to fight at a high pace that his stamina-plagued body can’t handle. Gennady Golovkin and Daniel Jacobs both lost to Canelo because they didn’t take the fight to him. They fought scared, and let Canelo control the pace of the battle.
Eubank Jr will force Canelo to fight at full capacity, and the Mexican star could burn out quickly, and wind up getting stopped. Chris Jr has watched Canelo’s fights and spotted his flaws with his stamina, and his need for rest breaks. He’s not going to let Canelo have those pitstops every round the way GGG, Jacobs, and Sergey Kovalev did.
Chris Jr confident he’ll beat Canelo Alvarez
“Canelo Alvarez, that’s the #1 fight that I want right now,” said Eubank Jr to Sky Sports Boxing. “I don’t think anyone on the planet would make a better opponent for him [Canelo Alvarez]. Most guys would go in there to run and survive [against Canelo].
“I’m going in there destroy, and I know I can beat him,” said Eubank Jr.
Canelo probably has already seen for himself that Eubank Jr is a lousy style match-up for him, so he might not dare take a fight with him. If you’ve got severe stamina problems as Canelo has, the worst type of opponent you can choose is someone with a good chin that throws nonstop shots. That’s Eubank Jr to a tee.
Of all the fighters in 160 and 168-pound divisions, Eubank Jr has a fighting style that is the closest to Marvin Hagler and Aaron Pryor. These were fighters that were known for their ability to attack their opponents all out, throwing a high number of shots in each round.
Hagler and Pryor were so successful because they didn’t let the guys they fought take rest breaks. Canelo needs rest breaks, and the guys that he’s fought thus far have always let him take those breaks. Canelo picked his opposition well, choosing to fight oppon
By Barry Holbrook: Gennady Golovkin posted a video on the fourth of July of his workouts in getting ready for the title defense of his IBF middleweight belt against Kamil Szeremeta. There’s still no ironclad date for GGG’s bout against Szeremeta (21-0, 5 KOs), but it’s possible that fight could happen in September.
In Golovkin’s workout, he did a lot of half reps doing pull-ups and push-ups. What was impressive was the 38-year-old Golovkin doing push-ups with a 45-pound plate on his back. Yeah, they were half push-ups, but it was still interesting to see Golovkin able to do that.
“Focused. Weight session today, what’s your focus this weekend,” said Golovkin on social media.
Golovkin needs to beat the 30-year-old Szeremeta to stay in line to face Canelo Alvarez in 2021. A loss for GGG against the unknown Szeremeta, then it’s going to wreck what little interest there is from boxing fans in a third Canelo fight.
Golovkin didn’t have to face IBF mandatory Szeremeta yet; the International Boxing Federation hadn’t ordered the fight. Golovkin wanted to take it early for some reason, as it would get in the way of his match against Canel
By Charles Brun: Amir Khan welcomes a rematch with former two-division world champion Marcos Maidana if he comes out of his six-year retirement to resume his career. The 36-year-old Maidana (35-5, 31 KOs) is training for an exhibition match against a 47-yearArgenitinan kickboxer.
If Maidana looks good at beating the guy, which will take place in a boxing ring, then he could restart his career.
Khan and Maidana spoke this week during a conference call for the 99th WBA Convention. During the call, the 33-year-old Khan (34-5, 21 KOs) expressed interest in facing Maidana, who he beat ten years ago by a 10 round unanimous decision in December 2010. Khan knocked Maidana down with a body shot in round one. The fight took place in the 140-pound division.
Maidana had a point deducted for throwing an elbow when the referee Joe Cortez attempted to pull him off of Khan. It was a strange fight to watch, given the number of times that referee Cortez got in between Maidana when he was attempting to knock Khan out.
Cortez wasn’t letting Maidana work on the inside, and by doing that, he may have saved Khan from being knocked out. Khan had the reach and mobility. So when the action was on the outside, it favored him.
Julio Cesar Martinez will defend his WBC World Flyweight title against #1 ranked McWilliams Arroyo as Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing USA return to action in Tulsa, Oklahoma on Saturday, August 15, exclusively live on DAZN in the US.
Martinez (16-1 12 KOs) makes the second defense of his crown against Arroyo, in the main event brought to you in association with Canelo Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions, and Miguel Cotto Promotions, having thrilled Texas with his first defense of the belt in Matchroom Boxing’s last show before the COVID-19 pandemic in February, coming out on top of an enthralling 12 round battle with Welshman Jay Harris.
The 25-year-old Mexican landed the title with a ninth-round KO win in a ferocious clash with former champion Cristofer Rosales, and the champion is honored to be topping the return of Hearn’s outfit in the States as he looks to cement his place in the division and move towards unification battles.
“I am so happy to be back in the ring again and I promise you another war on August 15,” said Martinez. “With the unification fights ahead of me, it is important to take care of my mandatory challengers and I expect a tough fight with Arroyo. I believe 2020 and 2021 will see me unify and become undisputed and I can’t wait to put a smile back on boxing fans’ faces.”
Arroyo (20-4 15 KOs) challenges for a 112lb World title for the third time in his career as he looks to finally get a World strap around his waist. The decorated Puerto Rican amateur was edged out via split decision by IBF champion Amnat Ruenroeng in September 2014 and then fell to pound-for-pound star Roman’ Chocolatito’ Gonzalez in April 2016 for the WBC and Ring Magazine crowns in California.
The 34-year-old ranked at number one in the WBC enters the bout on the back of three wins in 2019, having returned to Flyweight from a brief stint at Super-Fly, and the former World Amateur Champion is determined to end the talented Mexican’s reign in Tulsa.
“I am thrilled with this opportunity that my promoters Miguel Cotto Promotions, H2 Entertainment, and Golden Boy Promotions have given me since I am ranked number #1 in the WBC, and I am following my dream of becoming a World champion,” said Arroyo.
“I think Julio Cesar Martinez is a great champion. The fans will see a fight full of action due to the styles of both of us. It is very good for boxing Puerto Rico vs. Mexico, and I am eager to take the belt.”
Prior to the lockdown, Cecilia Brækhus was set to defend her undisputed Welterweight championship in Maryland against Jessica McCaskill, and that fight is the co-main feature in Tulsa.
“We must now realize the promise of America by trusting God, unifying our vision and building our future. I am running for president of the United States,” the Chicago rapper tweeted with “#2020VIS… Read More